Swimming is a wonderful and varied sport and over the years it has created some interesting world records, here are a few we found..
1. The first and fastest swim along the length of the Persian Gulf is by 34-year-old Mohammad Kobadi from Iran. Between 19 December 2011 and 12 March 2012 Kobadi swam 1,051 km (653 miles) in 84 days.
2. The record for the most people who performed a synchronised swimming routine was accomplished by 186 members at Olympium Pool in Ontario, Canada, on 31 May 2008.
3. The most nationalities in a swimming pool is 82 and was achieved by Les Roches International School of Hotel Management (Switzerland), in Bluche, Switzerland, on 8 September 2012. All the participants were students at Les Roches International School of Hotel Management. To prove their identity that had to provide their passports showing their nationality.
4. The most number of swim caps worn at once is 20 and this was achieved by Alastair Galpin in Dargaville, Northland, New Zealand, on 30 August 2012. Galpin who is a serial record breaker achieved the record at The Kumara Box which is a farming museum open to the public.
5. Stig Åvall Severinsen (Denmark) swam 76.2 m (or 250 ft) under ice at Qorlortoq Lake (Lake 40) in Ammasslik Island, Sermersoq Municipality, East Greenland on 17 April 2013, and the depth of the ice was between 80 and 100 cm (2.62 and 3.28 feet).
6. 41-year-old Dara Torres earned a silver medal for the Americans in the pool at the Beijing Olympics on 9 August 2008, swimming the anchor leg in the 4 x 100 m freestyle relay. Torres was already the oldest female swimmer to win an Olympic medal, having taken gold in the medley relay at Sydney 2000, but with her Beijing performance she became the oldest Olympic swimming medallist outright, beating the previous century-old record set by William Robinson from the UK, who was aged 38, at the Olympic Games in 1908.
7. The longest distance swum without flippers in open sea is 225 km (139.8 miles) by Veljko Rogosic (Croatia) across the Adriatic Sea from Grado to Riccione (both Italy) from 29-31 August 2006. The attempt took him 50 hours 10 mins. The distance swum is by GPS.
8. The largest swimming lesson in a single venue was 611 participants, achieved by Team WLSL (USA) at Disney's Typhoon Lagoon in Lake Buena Vista, Florida, USA, on 14 June 2011. The record was the headquarter location of the attempt for the largest swimming lesson in multiple venues, which set a new record at 4,315 participants worldwide.
9. A relay team of 20 Finnish men swam a record 114.95 miles (184.994 km) in 24 hours at the Mäkelänrinteen Swimming Center, Helsinki, Finland on 16-17 September 2005.
10. And lastly, the highest number of people skinny dipping has been recorded as 729 and this was achieved by Vera Playa Friends of Spain at El Playazo beach in Vera Playa, Almeria, Spain, on 21 July 2013!